Yam and plantain frittata in all its glory! Frittata is an egg dish that can be eaten as a main meal or brunch. It is slightly different from an omelette as you have to finish a frittata off in an oven. Also all the ingredients used are folded in the egg and cooked. You can choose any filling you want and make it your own. For this dish I chose plantain and yam, they were both a last minute thought as the yam I have at home were going dry, so I had to use it up.
Making frittata is easy and there are no tricks behind it. Like I mentioned, it can serve as a main meal because it is quite filling and also healthy too depending on the filling you choose. Never mind, if you don’t have an oven, use a wide pan to fry instead of a deep pan as this will allow egg to cook through.
What you will need
6 large eggs
2-3 mixed peppers, diced
1 onion, chopped
Small tuber of yam about 2 slices, peeled and cut into chunks
Spring onions (optional)
1 ripe Plantain, peeled and diced
1. Wash yam and bring to boil in salt water till soft. Drain and set aside
2. Prep peppers, onions and spring onions and season with salt, curry, thyme and set aside
3. Break eggs into a bowl, whisk add seasoning, curry and thyme and whisk again till all combine. If you choose, you can add cheese to the eggs at this point
4. Cut yam into thin slices and set aside
5. Preheat the oven at 200⁰
6. Place a frying pan/skillet on a medium heat, add 1 cooking spoon of vegetable oil and heat for 2 minutes. Add diced plantain and fry till slightly brown.
7. Add the peppers, onions, spring onions and stir fry for about 3 minutes. Add sliced yam and continue to stir fry for another 3 minutes.
8. Pour whisked egg over stir fry, tilt frying pan to make sure egg is distributed evenly over the vegetables.
9. Cook on a low heat for about 2-3 mins for all the eggs to set at the edges of the pan. Sprinkle cheese on the top (if using)
10. Put the pan in the oven and bake on 200⁰ for about 10-20 minutes till egg is cooked and set
11. Cut into wedges, serve warm or cold with salad.